New York, July 8, 2019 — Sourcing Journal, the premier online trade publication for apparel and textile executives, is rolling out its third group of honorees for Sustaining Voices. The yearlong web series, which was created in collaboration with Cotton Incorporated, honors the latest innovations, products, companies and initiatives driving forward a greener apparel industry. The 10 brands and retailers join the honorees recognized in the supply chain and logistics sector, which were announced in May, and the raw materials segment, which were announced in April.
“As evidenced by Sourcing Journal’s recent industry-wide survey regarding transparency, the apparel industry is looking to brands and retailers to lead the way when it comes to creating a more responsible future for our products and processes. That is why the achievements of the companies honored through Sustaining Voices, as well as the numerous others working toward the same goal, are so important,” said Edward Hertzman, founder and president of Sourcing Journal Media. “By developing alternative raw materials, finding new ways to reuse existing goods and placing self-imposed limits on their emissions, these companies are creating actionable solutions.”
This month, Sourcing Journal announces the honorees in the brands and retailers category. They include:
- Adidas, for cleaning up ocean waste and reducing its reliance on virgin plastic
- Allbirds, for neutralizing its ecological impact with a self-imposed carbon tax
- Asics, for reducing its carbon footprint by giving old clothes a second life
- For Days, for scaling up its closed-loop clothing line
- Kering, for pushing for healthier soils and traceable supply chains
- Pangaia, for taking an innovative, plant-based approach to textile materials
- Patagonia, for driving sustainability through inventive collaboration
- Reformation, for identifying the names, addresses and affiliations of more than 10,000 factories and mills worldwide
- ThredUp, for standing at the frontlines of the resale revolution
- Vaude, for driving the future of sustainable outdoor gear through R&D
In the coming months, Sustaining Voices will recognize the efforts of both individuals and companies across factories and initiatives. Each was selected by Sourcing Journal in consultation with a select group of apparel industry experts, who considered the “wow” factor, uniqueness, scalability, buzz and impact each person, program and company had on sustainability in the past year.
Visit SustainingVoices.com to learn more about each honoree, read articles related to their sustainability efforts and listen to our podcast series, which covers all aspects of apparel sustainability.
About Sourcing Journal
Sourcing Journal is the largest, most comprehensive and authoritative B2B resource for executives working in the apparel, textile and footwear industries. Hyper-focused on delivering timely news, insightful analysis and revealing data, Sourcing Journal is empowering industry leaders to make informed business decisions. Sourcing Journal readers rely on the publication to navigate every aspect of this dynamic, complex and vast business, including supply chain, raw materials, sustainability, logistics, fulfillment, product development, compliance, retail and technology.
About Cotton Incorporated
Cotton Incorporated, funded by U.S. cotton producers and importers of cotton and cotton textile products, conducts worldwide research and promotion activities to increase the demand for and profitability of cotton.