Rapper Travis Scott is still feeling the repercussions of November’s Astroworld tragedy.
After 10 concertgoers were suffocated and crushed to death during a crowd surge at the Houston music festival the “Sicko Mode” rapper founded four years ago, Dior shelved plans to collaborate with Scott’s creative label, Cactus Jack.
“Out of respect for everyone affected by the tragic events at Astroworld, Dior has decided to postpone indefinitely the launch of products from the Cactus Jack collaboration originally intended to be included in its summer 2022 collection,” the French fashion house told WWD on Tuesday. Scott’s team told the outlet that the decision was mutual. The House Oversight Committee’s Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.), James Comer (R-Ky.), Al Green (D-Texas), Kevin Brady (R-Texas) and Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) opened a probe into the disaster last week.
The line, which debuted virtually at a fashion show in June and was set to release in January, was designed in a joint effort between Scott and Dior men’s creative director Kim Jones. Drawing from the artist’s Texas roots, the collection paired Western elements like lariats and saddle bags with streetwear influences, from oversized T-shirts to bright, graphic motifs. Overcoats, bomber jackets, trousers, sweaters, vests and Bermuda shorts in oversized silhouettes made up much of the collection, in colors such as muted purple, pink, teal brown and chartreuse. Cactus Jack Dior was to be the label’s first full collection ever created with a musician, offering dozens of garments and accessories.
In recent weeks, other brands have backed away from the embattled rapper. Last month, Nike indefinitely postponed the planned Dec. 16 launch of the Air Max 1 x Cactus Jack pack. Anheuser-Busch has discontinued production of Scott’s Cacti hard seltzer beverage, while McDonald’s, General Mills and Epic Games cut ties with the artist following the event.
The 2022 Coachella music festival also dropped Scott from the lineup, and New York City’s Parsons School of Design, which launched a Houston-based design center in partnership with the Cactus Jack Foundation, has scrubbed information about the project from its website.
Scott, who has repeatedly denied responsibility for the Astroworld disaster, is currently facing a multitude of lawsuits from concertgoers and families of victims. Houston law firm Brent Coon & Associates filed more than 1,500 cases on behalf of clients who attended the event, and requested $10 billion for a joint resolution. Attorney Brent Coon asked that all lawsuits against Scott be consolidated and handled by the same judge, the Associated Press reported. On Dec. 7, Scott’s attorneys argued for multiple cases to be dismissed with prejudice, issuing a “general denial” of the plaintiffs’ claims.
Additional reporting by Jessica Binns.