G-Star Raw, a purveyor of innovative denim design, is minimizing the industry’s carbon footprint with its new sustainable G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean.
The fashion retailer recently teamed up with Pakistan-based Artistic Milliners, color solutions provider DyStar and global denim manufacturer Saitex to launch the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean—which, according to G-Star Raw, is its ‘most sustainable jeans ever,’—developed with a clean indigo dyeing process, eco-friendly sustainable washing techniques, organic material and responsibly sourced components. Consumers can purchase the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean and its counterpart D-Staq RFTPi denim jacket in stores and online starting Feb. 15.
G-Star Raw collaborated with Saitex to responsibly manufacture and wash the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean. Using sustainable technologies and renewable energies, the manufacturing and washing process resulted in no water being discharged into the local environment—with 98 percent of water recycled or reused, and the other 2 percent evaporated. Additionally, G-Star Raw used 100 percent organic cotton, eco-finished metal buttons and responsibly sourced labeling for the jeans.
The retailer also partnered with Artistic Milliners and Dystar to develop Crystal Clear, which G-Star Raw said is ‘the cleanest indigo dyeing process in the word.’ Unlike conventional denim dyeing methods, Crystal Clear uses 70 percent less chemicals, omits salts and doesn’t create salt-by product during the denim reduction and dyeing process. This sustainable dyeing method could help companies conserve natural resources and leave recyclable water effluent post-dyeing.
[Read more on G-Star Raw: G-Star Raw Launches Collection with Archroma’s EarthColors]
In addition to launching the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean, G-Star Raw is working with its mill partner to share the jean’s fabric material through the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute’s certification process, which evaluates products based on their circular economy contributions . G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean’s fabric achieved Cradle to Cradle Gold status, due to its outstanding materials health and minimal carbon footprint. With the jean’s sustainable production process, G-Star Raw aims to inspire other industry members to pursue a greener denim supply chain.
“As a key player in this market, G-Star Raw takes responsibility to lead by example in promoting sustainable denim innovation. Our new denim fabric and its revolutionary indigo process will become an open source for the rest of the industry to use,” G-Star Raw corporate responsibility director Frouke Bruinsma said. “We would like to invite others to join us towards cleaner and more ethical denim production globally.”