New York, October 30, 2019 — Sourcing Journal, the premier online trade publication for apparel and textile executives, is rolling out its final group of honorees for Sustaining Voices. The yearlong web series, which was created in collaboration with Cotton Incorporated, honors the people and organizations driving forward a greener apparel industry. The honorees in the initiatives category join those in the factory, raw materials, brand and retailer, and supply chain and logistics sectors.
“The apparel industry has come to understand that only through collaboration can it make the necessary strides toward environmental responsibility needed to head off the climate crisis,” said Edward Hertzman, founder and president of Sourcing Journal Media. “The initiatives highlighted by Sustaining Voices should be credited for the ways in which they’re leading by example and encouraging the industry to join together to effect positive change.”
This month, Sourcing Journal announces the honorees in the initiatives category. They include:
- The Ellen MacArthur Foundation, for uniting multiple stakeholders to tackle plastics pollution at the source
- The Centre for Sustainable Fashion, for filling in educational gaps in the supply chain
- The Global Fashion Agenda, for using carrot-and-stick diplomacy to urge fashion CEOs to prioritize sustainability
- MP Mary Creagh, for shepherding the Environmental Audit Committee’s investigation into British fast fashion
- Stella McCartney, for making savvy partnerships to improve sustainability industry-wide
- United Nations Climate Change, for using the The Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action to push the industry collectively to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050
Each was selected by Sourcing Journal in consultation with a select group of apparel industry experts, who considered the “wow” factor, uniqueness, scalability, buzz and impact each person, program and company had on sustainability in the past year.
Visit SustainingVoices.com to learn more about each honoree, read articles related to their sustainability efforts and listen to our podcast series, which covers all aspects of apparel sustainability.
About Sourcing Journal
Sourcing Journal is the largest, most comprehensive and authoritative B2B resource for executives working in the apparel, textile and footwear industries. Hyper-focused on delivering timely news, insightful analysis and revealing data, Sourcing Journal is empowering industry leaders to make informed business decisions. Sourcing Journal readers rely on the publication to navigate every aspect of this dynamic, complex and vast business, including supply chain, raw materials, sustainability, logistics, fulfillment, product development, compliance, retail and technology.
About Cotton Incorporated
Cotton Incorporated, funded by U.S. cotton producers and importers of cotton and cotton textile products, conducts worldwide research and promotion activities to increase the demand for and profitability of cotton.